Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Holla!

I have been doing backstrokes in the pond of smugness the last couple of days. The twins have turned 18! We actually made it! If you would have told me 10 years ago that it was going to turn out okay and we would all survive and not kill each other, I would have accused you of smoking crack. Hey, it's possible. I don't know you that well.

But this means that I now have 2 adult children. And I'm still not sure how I feel about it, I mean, I'm still in my 30s. Granted, that number is going to roll over to a higher level here before too long, but it is so weird to think I have adult children. Especially when they will all pile on me when I cook their favorite meal. But I am just months away from crossing the finish line that I am both giddy and weepy. Or as the guys would say, it's just another day living with this crazy woman.

It was a bit sobering when their selective service numbers showed up a couple days before the blessed event. I guess that is the only government department that works ahead of schedule. Not thrilled with it but nothing we can do other than me crossing my fingers and praying like mad that the draft will never see the light of day again. I'm grateful for the men and women who make that choice to serve but it's a hard pill to swallow when you don't have a choice.

Anyhoo -

We've had epic craziness - took them to see Tim Hawkins and we laughed so hard our faces hurt. Sissy was with us so that amped up the crazy. It's been a fun week. I just see more and more of the men they are becoming and at times I'm amazed and other times I just roll my eyes and shake my head while laughing. They've both turned a corner these last couple of years, and it has given this weary momma's heart a surge of relief. This semester is quickly coming to an end and just one more to go and they are done!!

We haven't decided who is more excited about this - them or me. I think I'm the front runner.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Yahoo!!! Such a relief to see the finish line (altho you are never done being a parent!!) and know that you have run a good race!!

Joanna said...

I am ready for the sweet relief! The rest is on them. :)